Thinking Buried by Gina’s Eye (fynearts)
“It’s a continuing fascination … after a year of laying out handmade papers in the weather, collecting and cleaning them, I am now considering their use in various pieces…”
Proverbial Threads by Robbin Ami Silverberg
For the series I chose to focus on text, working with proverbs from cultures around the world that focus on woman’s work. It consists of an open series (over 100) of industrial bobbins, each wrapped with paper threads that have printed on them a repeated proverb about women’s work. Here is a small selection of proverbs:
- “The threaded needle judges the girl.” (Spanish, Argentina)
- “The only skill that women have is turning the spinning wheel.” (Hebrew)
- “A household with a woman is like a flower bed, a household without one like a wasteland.” (Uzbek)
- “A wife is the best piece of furniture.” (Dutch)
- “However smart a woman may be, she will end up in the kitchen.” (Indonesian)
- “Do not humiliate your wife; she is your home.” (Ovambo, Angola/ Namibia)
- “Housewife at home, pancake in honey.” (Russian)
Botanica by Natalie Stopka
This artist book holds a collection of 12 eco prints, made on one late summer day in the Catskill Mountains. Each image is made only from the dye inherent to the plant. Gathered from the garden and foraged from the fields, these plant prints are the portrait of a place and time. Because some of the colorants in each image are not lightfast, they will gradually fade over time, leaving only the permanent dyes. The artist book is bound in naturally dyed and printed silk joined with a herringbone stitch.
Handmade Little Books (Collection of Four) by Natalie Stopka
Each of these four blank books is hand bound with a linen cover and hand stitched silk headbands. Protectively case bound with a rounded spine, they are the perfect size to carry on your travels in a pocket or purse as a journal or sketchbook.
Each part of these books has been naturally dyed with responsibly sourced or foraged plant materials. The pages are made from whole sheets with no paper waste and show the color variation that occurs naturally in the dye bath. This makes a beautiful surface for writing or drawing into.